Snake eating itself
Ouroboros also know as Uroboros is a figure of a snake devouring its own tail. It is found in Gnosticism and alchemy representing cyclical natural life and the fusion of opposites. It also symbolizes the duality. Another term for the name is Uroboros.
Uroboros pendant Click on image for more information
Ouroboros is a symbol that shows an animal (usually a snake or a dragon) that swallow his own tail, making with his body a circular shape. Its meaning is also duality. And the cycle of life.
The word, ouroboros, comes from the Greek ουροβóρος (also known as uroboro). And it symbolizes the eternal cycle of things. Also the eternal effort to stop life problems and the eternal struggle. Since the cycle begins again effort is useless.
It also refers to the cyclical nature of things and the idea of a constant and eternal return.
Both interpretations, refer to the ideology that existence is like a cycle whose continuity consists in a constant rebirth. So there is not really death. This is why there is the connection with the cyclical nature of time. Where the future devoures the present. It createsg an infinite chain of moments that die and are born again at each moment.
In some religions the ouroboro is used as a representation of the reincarnation of things that never die, only change eternally.
Its origin goes back to the Ancient Egypt and the Ancient Greece. Its first use was in the emblematic serpent. It was found in the hieroglyphs that was in the sarcophagus chamber of the pyramid of Unis. It is also in the Nordic mythology. As part of the concept of the story of the serpent Jörmundgander.
The essence of ouroboro is also seen in the Greek mythology. It is about the representation of the natural forces. Such as the sun, the moon, the waves of the see, among others. And it is related to the solar myth of Sisyphus (Character doomed to the underworld) and Helium. In which Sisyphus was forced to push a stone up a steep slope. But before it reached the top of the hill, the stone rolled down again. And Sisyphus had to start again and again from the beginning every day for all the eternity.
Besides its origins and the mythological uses there are others meanings. Many cultures, religions, and persons has given to this symbol.
Alchemy: In the practice of alchemy, this symbol expresses the unity of all things, both material and spiritual, saying that these never disappear but change form in an eternal cycle of destruction and new creation, just as it represents the infinitude. The oldest text where it appears is in an alchemical treatise of the second century, written by Cleopatra the Alchemist.
This writing shows the Greek inscription εν το παν, hen to pan, “everything is one”. And appears half white, half black. This in addition to the fact that in some representations the animal is shown with a clear half and a dark one. It has make that the researchers have conclude that. This symbol in the alchemy teaches that inside everything the good there is something bad. And inside the bad there is something good.
In addition to this in alchemy, the uroboros symbolizes the work of the alchemist that unites the opposites. Both the conscious and the unconscious. Finally, it is also a symbol that represent purification, the eternal cycles of life and death.
Gnosticism: It symbolizes how the soul live all the eternity in the world. In a very known Gnostic text its describes the ouroboros as a part of a dragon that surrounds the world. In the old world of the India it is a religion symbol. According to a reference, the power (in this culture) is a serpent. It is wrapped around itself, while devour his own tail and rests in his body.
One of the most known jungian psychologist compared it to an archetype. Another wrote that is an example of the live of the mankind.
August Kekulé: He described the day when he makes one of his more important chemistry works. He says that he was working with his textbook. But due he couldn´t advance he went to sleep. In a dream he saw how the atoms changed before his eyes in the form of a serpent, in a circular shape. Which arouse him and encourage him to work the rest of the night in his hypothesis.
Classical Antiquity: In a story of Plato, there is a character that describes the perfection of the all universe. A thing that can be compared to the ouroboros. He describes the perfection of the created world and beings in creation by some aspect of the Good. Each contributing to the perfection of the universe and its unity.
Sterling Silver Jewel with the Uroboros.
- ANCIENT EGYPTIAN ICONOGRAPHY - One of Humanity's Oldest Symbols is often taken to symbolize introspection, the eternal return or cyclicality, especially in the sense of something constantly...
- PREMIUM QUALITY - We go above and beyond to use the highest quality material to deliver the best product to you. Hard enamel & Gold Nickel
- PERFECT SIZE - 1.5" wide premium pin with cut out well suited for denim, jackets, backpacks, suits, & shirts for men and women
- The Indie Vision Project (07/15/2017)
- Running time: 3 minutes
- David Neyts, Denver Marcus Low
- Ray LaMontagne, Ouroboros
- Drunvalo Melchizedek
- Publisher: Weiser Books
- Edition no. 0 (11/21/2012)
- Ouroboros with Tree of Life
- Collapsible grip provides a secure hold for easier texting, calling, photos, and selfies.
- Expandable stand to watch videos, take group photos, FaceTime, and Skype handsfree.
- Thanks to their dedication to sustainability, Dogeared is proud to call themselves a Certified B Corporation brand.
- Labradorite awakens greater awareness and intuition while the ouroboros, an ancient Egyptian icon, represents the cyclical nature of the universe. Wear your necklace as a reminder that an end is often...
- Delicate chain features labradorite stone pendant.
- E.R. Eddison
- Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
- Paperback: 416 pages
- Material:316L Stainless Steel,Never Rust,High Quality.
- Size:width 6.7 MM,Available Size 8,9,10,11,12
- Inspired by the legendary mystic ouroboros,you can take any occasion,it looks very cool and will makes you eye catching.
- authentic Alchemy Gothic mens ring
- lead-free fine English pewter and Swarovski crystal
- Ouroboros snake/serpent ring
- A metal pendant with raised and embedded details in brushed metal finish
- 4cm in size plus leather stip. Packed on blister card.
Drury, Nevil. The Watkins Dictionary of Magic. London. Watkins Publishing. 2005. p. 222