- 1 Origin
- 2 Meditation
- 3 How Tibetan Singing Bowls Work
- 4 Healing with Tibetan Singing Bowls
- 5 How to Use Tibetan Singing Bowls
- 6 How to Clean and Store Tibetan Singing Bowls
- 7 Who Can Use Tibetan Singing Bowls?
- 8 Do Tibetan Singing Bowls Work?
- 9 Music
The use of Tibetan singing bowls dates back to 560BC, a time when Buddha was still teaching the enlightenment and the Buddhist doctrine. Despite the name of this bowl, its origin is unclear. These bowls are said to contain 5-9 metals. Some of these metals are gold, silver, tin, copper, lead, mercury and iron.
Some myths on the origin and composition of the singing bowls state that meteorites gotten from Tibet are also used to make this bowl. This meteorite is alleged to provide the healing power of the singing bowl.
This bowl is made by melting and purifying the metals. Then, the liquid metal is poured on a flat stone where it cools down a little. When cool, the metal sheet is skillfully hammered into the bowl shape. While working, mantras are repeatedly chanted, and this helps to program the singing bowls.
Each bowl creates a slightly different tone because of their slightly or widely varying metal composition. Furthermore, the sound of bowls differs, depending on the method used to make them. This can affect the purpose of the Tibetan singing bowl.
When used, the Tibetan singing bowls provides a feeling of calm that is essential while engaging in deep meditation. This calm is necessary when trying to achieve enlightenment. Hence these bowls are present in Buddhist temples, monasteries, and even yoga centers now.
Multiple singing bowls can be played at once to provide a tone that works with the vibration from other singing bowls. Sometimes, Tibetan singing bowls are called Himalayan singing bowls.
How Tibetan Singing Bowls Work
Everything in the world is vibrating at a specific frequency. This is the same as the human body and its organs. The cells, organs, and systems work in harmony and vibrate at the same rate.
The presence of illness, emotional problems, and even spiritual imbalance can be caused by a shift in frequencies. Striking the Tibetan bowl can emit a sacred vibration which enters the body and calibrates the vibration so that all the organs and systems in the body vibrate at the original frequency.
When this harmony of the body is achieved, the body can then begin to heal itself and reach balance.
Using Tibetan singing bowls qualifies as sound healing /therapy.
Healing with Tibetan Singing Bowls
Tibetan bowls have been used for thousands of years for their physical and emotional benefits.
The physical benefits of these bowls include:
- Pain relief
- Using singing bowls can help to improve blood and fluid circulation
- Singing bowls are useful for reducing stress and regulating blood pressure
- These bowls can help to improve the functioning of the immune system.
The emotional benefits of singing bowls include:
- Creation of a feeling of relaxation
- Healing of the subconscious mind
- Provision of relief to anxiety and symptoms of anxiety.
Spiritual benefits of Tibetan Singing Bowls
- Singing bowls provide mental clarity while meditating.
How to Use Tibetan Singing Bowls
If you would like to buy Tibetan singing bowls, you can find them at specialty stores, meditation, and yoga centers. You can drag the mallet that comes with the bowl on the outer rim of the bowl or the outer perimeter.
Some people prefer to hit the bowl with the mallet before using the singing bowl. While using these bowls, avoid distractions and focus on the sound and the mind.
The use of the singing bowl differs according to the sound the bowl makes. Some bowls are useful for eliminating negative energies and others for healing.
Yoga classes and meditation centers may use the Tibetan singing bowl to signify the start or end of a session.
When using singing bowls, you should cleanse the bowls routinely of the negative energies absorbed by them. The negative energies could change the way your singing bowl sounds. Cleanse the Tibetan singing bowls by
- Smudging them with cleansing herbs like sage or incense
- Cleanse the bowls with salt or water
- Meditate with the bowl and focus on removing the negative energy from it.
After cleansing your bowl, the tone of the bowls will change to its original sound.
How to Clean and Store Tibetan Singing Bowls
It is important that you cleanse your Tibetan singing bowls and store them properly so that they function properly and last long. Below are a few tips for cleaning and storing your singing bowls.
- Clean your bowl with soapy water and wipe it dry immediately.
- You could polish the singing bowl, but that could change the tone or sound frequency.
- If you want to store your bowls, you can nest the bowls within each other. To prevent scratching or denting, place a napkin between each bowl.
- Dropping Tibetan singing bowls could cause them to crack. So, they should be handled carefully even when they are not in use.
Who Can Use Tibetan Singing Bowls?
Tibetan singing bowls have the potential to provide healing for anybody so that anyone can use it. It is essential though that person who chooses to use it read about it so that they can harness the power of the singing bowl. While the bowls sound nice, they are not toys and should be approached with intent.
Do Tibetan Singing Bowls Work?
Singing bowls have been used for mental and emotional healing. Some researchers and scientists who have conducted tests and case studies equate the effect of the Tibetan singing bowls as a placebo effect.
Some users of singing bowls argue that its music and sounds provides a feeling of relaxation, reduces stress and even balances chakras.
If you want to gain these benefits, you can use these bowls with an open mind. However, if you are seeking healing for serious medical problems, consult a physician and then use these bowls alongside modern medicine.