- File Extension: APK
- Description: Android Application Package Files
- File Type: Mobile app
Contents of the Article
What is an APK File?
APK stands for Android Package. It is a package file format for distribution and installation of middleware, mobile games and mobile apps and it is used by the Android operating system. Its file extension can either be .apk or .xapk.
It is an analog to several other software packages, like the Debian package in any Debian-based operating systems and APPX in Microsoft Windows.
Before you can run a program, the program needs to first be developed with Android Studio, after which all its parts are combined in a single container file. The APK file has all the codes of the program, its manifest file, certificates, assets and resources. It can be given any name provided the extension is .apk.
How to open an APK file
The steps to open an APK file on Android are given below:
- Go to settings by clicking on the screwdriver or wrench icon on your home screen.
- Click on Security and it will go to the screen for Android Security Settings.
- Look for “Unknown source” and click on the checkbox next to it to “Allow installation of apps from unknown sources” it will bring up a dialog box telling you of the associated risk when you install apps from unknown sources.
- Click on Ok to allow the feature.
- You can then install any APK on your android device without visiting Google Play store.
Programs that open and convert APK files
APK files can be executed on your mobile device free of charge by default but no in Windows or MAC.
You can either extract the components of the APK with a file extractor and then find the best program to view each individual component or install an open the APK file to run it like a EXE in Windows.
The following programs can be used for extracting and converting APK files:
7-Zip is an open-source extractor, free archiver used for placing a group of files in a compressed container called an archive.
- It can read and write several archive formats aside from its own.
- It can be used from a command-line interface.
Google Android SDK
Google Android SDK provides every necessary tool to developers for building, testing and debugging android apps.
- It is adaptable to different operating systems like Linux, Mac and Windows.
- It works perfectly as a developers’ tool kit.
BlueStacks is an App Player that enables android applications to run on PCs that run on Apple’s macOS and Microsoft operating system.
- It can be downloaded on both macOS and Windows.
- It is capable of running up to 1.5 million Android apps.
These other programs can be used for viewing and converting APK files:
- Apple Archive Utility: viewer and converter.
- YouWave: viewer and converter.
- Smith Micro StuffIt Deluxe 2011: viewer and converter.
- APK downloader for Google Chrome: viewer and converter.
- Xposed Installer: viewer and converter.
- Windroy: viewer and converter.
- AndroChef Java Decompiler: viewer and converter.
- Private Tunnel VPN: viewer and converter.
Problems with APK files?
You can try the following options:
- Check if you have allowed your device to download files from unknown sources from the Settings page.
- Reinstall that program or get an entirely new one.
- Go for a newer version of the AK file.
- Find out if there is adequate memory space on your device.