The Lapis Lazuli is a semi-precious ultramarine colored gemstone that dates back to before 1000BC. This stone receives its reputation from its opaque vivid blue color and gold or white specks within it. The gem is formed when lazurite, calcite, sodalite, and pyrite are heated together in a metamorphic rock. Lapis mines can be found in Afghanistan, Russia, USA and Chile. This semi-precious gem has a dull luster, is a prized by its color.
While this stone is desired for its beauty, an increasing number of people use this stone for the healing properties it has.
Synthetic Lapis stones are widely available for purchase and jewelry makers who wish to use consistently colored stones use it.
Meaning and History of the Lapis Lazuli
Lapis Lazuli means ‘blue stone,’ but this stone represents wisdom, truth, enlightenment, spiritual awakening and vision.
The use of the Lapis by humans date further than 1000BC. The evidence and use of this stone by man is found in historical accounts. People from different continents had varying uses for the Lapis stone, and evidence exists to support this claim. The Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, Chinese and Mesopotamians had historical references that show their use of this gemstone.
- Egypt: Historians state that the Lapis was a prized jewel in ancient Egypt because of its meaning. This influenced how the Egyptians used this stone. The Lapis was used to make jewelry that they wore and even used to decorate the sarcophagus of Pharaoh Tutankhamen. Ancient Egyptians also used this stone to make cosmetics and as a dye. The physicians used this stone to cure fevers and health problems too. Their use of this stone was also to honor the goddess Isis, the goddess of the sky. The color of the Lapis (blue with flecks of gold/white) was like the sky. For this reason, they saw this gem as a ‘stone of heaven’ and used it to make images or statues honoring Isis. The goddess of truth and justice (Maat) was also portrayed using Lapis stones.
- Rome: Ancient Romans used Lapis stone as an aphrodisiac. The stone was ground into a fine powder and consumed. Aside from drinking it for sexual health, they also felt that this stone could improve their mood, physical health and drive away evil.
- The Renaissance period: Even after ancient civilization had evolved, the Lapis was still a valued gemstone. Painters crushed it into fine powders, mixed it with oil and used it as bright blue paint. At the time, the pigmentation of this stone was unmatched, and it became very popular among painters. Europeans were recorded as wearing this stone as amulets to protect themselves from evil. Also, in later years, this stone become a choice gem for royalty. This stone has been used for its spiritual and physical benefits as well as its beautiful appearance.
Many myths concerning the Lapis stone exists, and they are based on the properties of this gemstone.
- King Solomon: One myth state that the biblical king Solomon was given the Lapis by an angel. This stone could control demons. It was said that King Solomon used this stone to control demons and used the demons to build his temple.
- The Tree of Gems: The Babylonians believed that there was a tree that grew precious gems and the Lapis stone grew at the top of the tree.
How Lapis Lazuli Stones Work
Like other crystals, the Lapis stone works by emitting energy, which can be utilized by humans. The stone also absorbs negative energies or toxins and purifies its immediate environment. The Lapis stone encourages healing from the inside out.
There are many benefits of using the Lapis stone, they include:
- This stone is also used to enhance the functioning of the ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat) and promotes healing where necessary.
- The Lapis can be used to reduce pain or aches in the body.
- It boosts the immune, respiratory and nervous systems.
- This stone can cleanse the body of toxins.
- Lapis Lazuli can be used to regulate blood circulation, regulate heart activities and reduce the risk of high or low blood pressure.
- This stone can be used to regulate menstrual cycles and control pain.
- It can help to promote the healing of the skin. It can be used on injuries, bruising or swellings.
- It is used to alleviate insomnia and improve sleep.
- Lapis stones can also aid in the functioning of the nervous system.
Benefits on the Mind and Emotions
Aside from healing the body, the Lapis stone also has positive effects on the emotion and mind.
It is useful for improving the intellectual ability of the wearer. This stone, which signifies enlightenment, can help to motivate the desire to acquire new knowledge.
- It can improve the wearer’s capability to judge a situation and helps them take well thought out decisions.
- Lapis can help to strengthen the mind. A strong mind can help you overcome depression and trauma. This is the first step to receiving mental healing.
- This stone is useful for improving temperaments. Put this stone in a family room, so it emits calming energy and improves communication.
- Because this is a truth stone, it can encourage communication free from deception.
- The Lapis Lazuli is useful for people who struggle with expressing themselves clearly. Using this will help them feel more self-aware and confident.
- This stone can help to eliminate feelings of fear and encourage the user to push past their self-imposed limitations.
- Lapis can be used to eliminate anxiety and nervousness.
- This stone can help you to enhance your psychic abilities, especially when it has to do with dreams. The Lapis stone can help you remember your dreams clearly. It will also help you understand these dreams.
- Lapis is useful for attaining spiritual enlightenment and growth.
- Lapis Lazuli activates the third eye. The third eye is tied to consciousness, views of the world and higher awareness.
- This stone can help to ward off evil attacks or energy.
- Some psychic healers use this stone because it is said to have some connection to angels and the spiritual realm
Tips for Cleansing
Gemstones absorb the energy of the environment where they are placed or energy from the person who handles them. This is why you should cleanse your stone before using it. Below are a few ways you can cleanse your stone:
- Bury the stone in the ground throughout the night to cleanse and recharge it.
- Hold the stone and meditate with it. While meditating, state your intentions for the stone and declare it cleansed.
- Wash the stone under running water. When you have cleansed the stone, wipe it dry to prevent it from absorbing water.
- Leave the stone out at night to cleanse it. Place it under a full moon is even better as this can help to recharge the stone.
- Use salt to cleanse this gemstone. Because this is a soft stone, you should not immerse it in salt. The crystals will scratch the surface. The best way to cleanse it using salt Is to put the stone in a small bowl and put the small bowl in a larger bowl with salt in it.
How to Use the Lapis Lazuli Stone
The Lapis Lazuli is valued for its healing properties, spiritual and physical. There are some particular ways to use this stone and enjoy its healing properties. Most people who use healing crystals wear the stones to enjoy the benefits of the gems. The Lapis Lazuli is no different. However, there are a few recommended ways of using this gemstone. They include:
- Worn as a necklace: This is recommended because this stone stimulates the throat chakra. Wearing it as a pendant or short necklace ensures that the stone is closer to the throat, making it more effective when used to improve communication.
- Using gemstone as an earring or hair band: This is the second recommended way of putting on the Lapis Lazuli. This is because this stone can help to enhance the third eye or brow chakra. Wearing this stone this way brings it closer to the brow chakra and is effective if your goal of wearing the Lapis is improved psychic ability and better spirituality.
- By holding the stone: If you are going to be involved in public speaking, making decisions or involved in important communication, hold onto the Lapis gemstone. It will provide guidance while you talk and prevent you from making hasty decisions. Holding this stone when in public can also help to relieve you of anxiety.
- Place the stone in a part of your home: This stone can help to bring unity in relationships. Leave a stone in the living area your family always occupies to maintain a good relationship or improved stressed or sour relationships.
- Gift the stone to a friend: Giving a close friend Lapis Lazuli can help to bless your relationship and ensure a more honest friendship.
Meditate with the Lapis Lazuli stone: Use a Lapis stone to meditate to enjoy the healing benefits of this gemstone. Some sellers of this stone have Lapis Lazuli gems carved into shapes of sacred geometry or patterns of spiritual significance to enhance the use of the stone in meditation.
Create a crystal grid: If you are experienced at working with different types of healing stones at a time, create a crystal grid with complimentary gemstones. Stones that can be used in conjunction with Lapis Lazuri include Blue Topaz, Laramite, Azurite, Moldavite, Golden Yellow Topaz, Mook Jasper and Iolite stones. Other stones can be used with the Lapis stone; you have to improve your knowledge of crystals to find what works for you.
How to Care for
The Lapis Lazuli is a soft stone. It is semi-porous and has a hardness of 5.5-6 on the Mohs Scale. This makes this gemstone a little more susceptible to damage from improper handling. Properly cared for, this gemstone could last for years without damage. Below are some tips for caring for your Lapis Lazuli gemstone. These tips are applicable whether the stone is in the form of jewelry, figurine or tumble stones.
- Avoid placing your gemstone among other jewelry especially jewelry with hard points or corners. By storing your gemstone on its own, you can prevent scratching or chip from occurring.
- Do not use chemicals and aerosol products on the Lapis gemstone. This could cause the quality of the stone to be degraded.
- Do not soak the gemstone for prolonged periods when cleaning it. The Lapis Lazuli stone is more porous than crystals; this means that soaking this stone in water could cause the quality of the stone to deteriorate rapidly and the longevity to be reduced.
- The Lapis stone should not be left in sunlight for long periods. The result of this could be fading of the stones pigmentation and loss of overall value.
- If you have the Lapis stone in a piece of jewelry, do not sleep while wearing it. This stone is fragile and can be damaged if force is applied onto it while you sleep.
Who Can Use this Gemstone
Unlike some crystals that can be used by almost everyone, this gemstone should be used by experts at crystal healing. Significantly, this stone is useful for providing enlightenment and spiritual growth. If that is your desire, then you will be happy with the results. However, if you are unprepared for the spiritual enlightenment and understanding, you will feel overwhelmed by the energy emitted by this stone.
Before you use this stone, you should also consider the fact that it is a truth stone. If you do not wish for your deceptions to be exposed, do not use this stone. If you are attempting to uncover deception or deceit towards you, you may be exposed as well.
The Lapis stone is a potent gemstone, and it emits strong energy vibrations. This makes it unsuitable for use on children. It could make them experience mild discomfort.
In summary, this stone should be used by adults, experienced crystal users and people with honest intentions.