The diamond ipossess great virtues. It guarantees victory to the possessor when bound to on the left arm no matter the number of his enemies. Panics, pestilences, enchantments, and whatever all fly before it; hence, it is good for sleepwalkers and the insane.
It deprives the loadstone of its virtue, and one variety, the Arabian diamond, is said to attract iron more powerfully than the magnet itself. The ancients believed that neither fire nor blows could overcome its hardness; and Cryprian, Austin, Isidore, and others of the fathers, adopting this notion, have used it to illustrate the method by which the blood of the Cross softens the heart of man.
If bound to a magnet, the diamond, according to ancient beliefs, deprives the magnet of its virtue or power.
Supposedly the diamond helps coughs, mucus, the lymph system, toothache, insomnia, and convulsions. (see Gem Healing)
Properties, Qualities and Characteristics
- Category: Mineral elements (nonmetals)
- Color: Typically yellow, brown or gray to colorless.
- Colorless: Stripe
- Luster: Adamantino1
- Transparency: Transparent to subtransparent to translucent.
- Isometric-Hexoctahedral crystal system (Cubic crystalline system)
- Concoidal Fracture
- Hardness 10 (Hard material known)
- Density 3.5 – 3.53 g / cm3
- Refractive index 2.4175 – 2.4178
- Optical properties Simple refractive
This mineral has several qualities, which are:
- It is called as a mineral and is in the category ‘’ no metals ’’.
- It is in the Strunz classification, which is: 1.CBº11.
- Its chemical formula is: ‘’ C ’’.
- Various colors can be found, which are: yellow, brown, gray, blue, green, black, white, pink, orange, purple, violet and red.
- It has a colorless stripe and a very adamantine luster.
- It has a translucent sub-transparency.
- The diamond crystalline system is isometric-hexoctahedral, it is very important to highlight that this system is a cubic crystalline system.
- It has a concoidal fracture.
- It has a solidity of 10 on the Mohs scale.
- It has a density of 3.5 – 3.53 g / cm3.
- The diamond has a refractive index of 2.4175 – 2.4178.
- It has no birefrigencia, nor pleocroism.
- Its optical qualities are simple refractive.
- It is also characterized by being related to other minerals, which are: cubic zirconia moissanite and silicon carbide.