This special bed was developed and employed by James Graham, an eighteenth century physician and magnetist of Edinburgh, Scotland. The bed resided within Graham’s magnificent house which he named the Temple of Hygeia, that opened in 1779 The room housing the bed was truly splendid. The bed itself rested on six transparent pillars; the bedclothes were of satin, in tints of purple and sky blue;. A healing steam of magnetism, — fragrant and strengthening medicines were introduced into the sleeping chamber through glass tubes and cylinders. Accompanying these attractions were soft strains of hidden flutes, harmicons, and a large organ. Permission to use the bed that soothed the aching muscles of the back and body was obtained by submitting written applications to the owner with the enclosure of 50 pound sterling. A.G.H.